10 Ways to Live a Sustainable Life
We all know that climate change, global warming, depletion of the ozone layer, and resource depletion are real and their impact on human and animal lives can be devastating. It is an opportunity for people to adopt actions for sustainable living that can help them to reduce their carbon footprint or environmental impact by altering their lifestyle.
Want to start practicing sustainable living? It is easier than you think. Although there are various ways to live and practice sustainable living, here are some quick and easy ideas to live a sustainable life.
1. Love food; hate waste. There are two main reasons why we throw away good food: we cook or prepare too much, or we don't use it in time. By making some small changes to how we shop and cook, you can save money and reduce your environmental impact.
2. Take some simple steps to save energy. Whether it’s switching off lights or lab equipment, make it a habit. It’s a simple act, with a big impact. You can save around $35 a year just by remembering to turn your appliances off standby mode.
3. Save water. Smaller changes, such as switching to water-saving shower heads and adding aerators to your sink faucets, are also effective ways to significantly reduce household water use.
4. Eat locally. The convenience of supermarkets has changed how people think about food. You can stroll through aisles stocked with fruits, vegetables, and other products from all over the world any time of year. But these products consume huge amounts of fossil fuel energy to get from those global locations to your corner supermarket.
5. Recycle. Recycle as much as possible! If your neighborhood or apartment complex doesn’t offer recycling pickup, either find a drop-off location or request the curbside service.
6. Resell and donate items. Items that you no longer need can get an extended life through resale and donation. By extending the life of any product, you help reduce dependence on disposable or cheaply made single-use products that end up in landfills.
7. Practice minimalism. Minimalism doesn’t mean living without anything, it means that you are making sure that everything you own, and use is put to its maximum purpose.
8. Ditch plastic water bottles and invest in a reusable bottle. Not only does the manufacturing and transportation of plastic water bottles lead to significant fossil fuel emissions, but most plastic water bottles are not actually recyclable and do not biodegrade. Avoiding them is one of the easiest things you can do to reduce the amount of plastic in your life.
9. Zero waste your food shopping. Bring your own bag or container to the grocery store, and before stocking up on dry goods, ask for the “tare,” to see how much your container weighs when empty. Also, opt for purchasing tin cans or paper-wrapped items rather than items with plastic packaging.
10. Make your voice heard. Changing individual behaviors is a key part of improving our environmental impact. But political and structural change is also necessary to drive sustainability forward.
At The EcoFairy, our goal is to help you build a more sustainable life by offering you a line of reusable products. We offer products that last and that will help you reduce the amount of plastic you use.
More info on our website: https://www.theecofairy.com