Always Carry a Reusable Bag
We know that we should never use plastic grocery bags, but sometimes you get to the store and realize you left your reusable shopping bag at home. We know, we’ve been there too!
Although they are billed for their “convenience,” grocery bags are extremely inconvenient for the planet:
- It’s estimated that we use 4 TRILLION plastic bags each year worldwide.
- Besides being made from fossil fuels, the average plastic bag is only used for 10-20 minutes (just think about how quickly you can get from the grocery store to your house).
- Unfortunately, that plastic bag lives on much, much longer — perhaps as much as 1,000 years in a landfill.
- What’s worse, plastic grocery bags aren’t recyclable curbside. In fact, plastic bags spell big trouble for recycling facilities, getting caught in the machinery and slowing or even halting the entire recycling process. They’re called ‘tanglers’ by professionals in the recycling business for a reason.
- According to Waste Management, only 1% of grocery bags are returned to grocery stores for recycling.
If you drive to the store, keep your bags in your car. If you bike, keep them in your basket. If you walk, store your reusable bags near your front door.
Through this act of green, you have created a concrete plan to ensure you will always have your reusable grocery bags on hand when you need them. But it only counts if you stick to the plan, build a plan and keep to it!
At The EcoFairy, our goal is to help you build a more sustainable life by offering you a line of reusable products. We offer products that last and that will help you reduce the amount of plastic you use.
More info on our website: https://www.theecofairy.com