Choose To Make a Difference
Our personal decisions at home have a greater impact on the environment than we may think.
It’s easy to think that your individual choices don’t impact the environment—after all, what can one person really change? Every day we make choices in our lives that affect the environment, the climate and other species. From what we eat to what we buy, there’s a lot we can do to “choose wild” and reduce our environmental footprint to leave more room for wild animals and plants. You may be wondering why someone would choose a sustainable lifestyle. It may seem like you have to go out of your way to live this lifestyle, but many reasons exist why it makes sense to choose sustainability.
We have gotten so used to getting our food from supermarkets that we take for granted how it gets there. When you think about sustainability, you consider the planet’s resources; you pay attention to how products are made and transported.
1. Chemistry and Cleaning -While you may not remember a world where you didn’t use chemicals to clean your home, it did once exist. Many of the everyday chemicals that are used to “clean” are actually harmful to the body and the planet. For starters, they leave behind toxins that can be unsafe for people who suffer from asthma, allergies and other respiratory problems. Chemicals can also cause problems with skin. If you have sensitive skin, you may find that many commercially available soaps and detergents can be irritating. Using products free of dyes and perfumes can help to alleviate those problems.
In addition, many chemicals can actually contribute to pollution of the environment. Sustainable living practices can reduce the amount of chemicals that end up in the water supply and in the ground. They can also help to alleviate any symptoms individuals suffer with that are caused by chemical use.
2. Financial Relief - You may find that sustainable living can actually save you a lot of money. Practices such as growing your own food and limiting waste can actually relieve your budget. If you’re looking for a way to pinch pennies, many of the sustainable living solutions for cleaning, managing energy waste and repurposing objects could be the answer.
3. Peace of Mind - Many people choose sustainability because it brings peace of mind. You may be worried about the future of the planet for your children. You may be concerned about the ethical treatment of people and animals. The sustainability movement concerns itself with all these matters.
4. Leaving Excess Behind - Many people in society have the philosophy that more is more. It’s difficult to live in our world and not constantly see things that you want or feel you have to have. Many feel that we’ve become a planet where people are more concerned with what they have than what they can give.
If you’re longing to live a simpler life, you may be ready to move toward a sustainable lifestyle. This doesn’t mean moving into a shack or living on a commune. What it does mean is, you’ll learn to focus more on making sure your needs are met while treasuring the fewer possessions you will have.
5. Breathe Easier - When you contribute to the sustainability of the planet, you’re literally improving the air quality. In this day and age, asthma and allergies are more prevalent than ever before. It’s no surprise that the air quality is getting worse. Planting trees, growing your own food, reducing your dependency on fossil fuels and reducing your energy consumption can all contribute to a healthier atmosphere.
6. Sharing Your Example - Sometimes people worry that living sustainably as one person won’t make much of an impact. But nothing could be further from the truth. When you choose sustainable living practices, you can actually begin a chain reaction. When your neighbor sees you harvesting your garden, he or she might decide it’s time to start one, too. You might find that by riding your bicycle to work, others see what you’re doing and take their bike, too.
Finally, you may feel like sustainable living requires you to change your life too much. When you make one “sustainable” choice, it will inevitably lead to others, and over time, your impact becomes much greater than what you alone did for the planet. Don’t ever think that you alone can’t make change happen. True change has to start with someone.
At The EcoFairy, our goal is to help you build a more sustainable life by offering you a line of reusable products. We offer products that last and that will help you reduce the amount of plastic you use.