Composting – An Effective Step Towards the Green Future
Composting is nature’s way of recycling and is one of the simplest ways to manage your waste. What’s great is that it can be done at home. Composting involves decomposing everyday kitchen waste into a rich soil known as compost. Basically, when you compost your organic or kitchen waste you are returning nutrients back into the soil, as a result, the cycle of life continues.
Here are five benefits of composting:
1. Adds nutrients to the soil. Compost is humus—nutrient-rich soil. When compost is placed on top of existing soil, it adds nutrients, such as carbon and nitrogen. These nutrients are used by plants for growth and photosynthesis. Adding compost also helps retain water for plant use.
2. Introduces valuable organisms to the soil. Microorganisms, such as bacteria, fungi, and protozoa, decompose organic material. The presence of microorganisms is vital because they aerate the soil, which speeds up the composting process, convert nitrogen to a usable form, and repel some plant diseases.
3. Recycles kitchen and yard waste. Composting keeps as much as 30% of waste from going to the trashcan. This reduces the amount of trash in your home. By diverting some waste, there won’t be a need to buy as many trash bags or to take out the trash as often.
4. Reduces landfill waste. Many people think that organic material will just decompose in a landfill. This is true, but the process is a lot slower. When organic material does decompose, the nutrients produced are being wasted.
5. Good for the environment! Composting is free and a lot healthier for the environment. By composting, you are not relying on factory-made fertilizers and chemicals.
The Ecofairy Home Composter helps users divert food waste from the landfill, reduce the amount of methane gas generated from organic waste, and decrease carbon emissions and one’s carbon footprint. It has a daily capacity of 11lbs and is perfect for residential use and works just as efficiently as our commercial line, turning food waste into compost in 24 hours.
At The EcoFairy, our goal is to help you build a more sustainable life by offering you a line of reusable products. We offer products that last and that will help you reduce the amount of plastic you use.
More info on our website: https://www.theecofairy.com