How to Influence People to be More Sustainable
For those of us who are aggressively eco-conscious, it can be difficult to bring awareness to our less “green” friends. It’s great to urge those around you to make more sustainable choices, but remember, it’s not always easy to break lifelong habits.
Instead of shaming them and shoving a million facts about carbon emissions, global warming and waste etiquette down their throats, try a more subtle approach to integrating sustainability into the conversation.
Here are some easy ways to help your friends and family become more sustainable without them even knowing it!
- When eating out, suggest restaurants that use locally sourced, organic ingredients or insist that you cook a sustainable meal together for your next lunch date, “I’ve been meaning to try out this recipe from [Insert favorite vegetarian cookbook], we should try it for lunch next week!”
- While you’re out shopping for ingredients mention that you never go to the store without your reusable bag. Instead of berating them for loading their groceries into disposable bags, share a fact that might provoke them to think about the consequences.
- Instead of spending the day at the mall with a friend, suggest you try thrifting instead.
- Suggest a great environmental documentary you have seen recently. You don’t have to jump to the inevitable environmental catastrophe that the film showcased, instead mention another aspect of the film that struck you as interesting.
- Notice that they leave all the lights and air conditioning on when leaving the apartment? Remind them about last month’s high electricity bill.
At the EcoFairy, our goal is to help you build a more sustainable life by offering you a line of reusable products. We offer products that last and that will help you reduce the amount of plastic you use.
More info on our website: https://www.theecofairy.com