Simple Actions That Can Result in Big Changes
The climate is changing - but are you? Changes in the way you live your life - both big and small - can help you reduce your own personal carbon footprint and encourage policy makers to act for the good of the planet. Below is a list of easy things you can do right now to help fight climate change.
- Reduce emissions
Changing your driving habits can dramatically reduce your carbon footprint. Walk, bike, carpool or use public transportation whenever possible. Combine errands to make fewer trips. Participate in, or start, car-free days in your community.
- Save energy
Look at the labels on your appliances, and never leave them on standby. Always adjust the thermostat for heating and air conditioning. By being careful how we use home appliances, we can save energy and, of course, money at the end of the month.
- Put the 3R'sof sustainability into practice
- Reduce: consume less, more efficiently.
- Reuse: take advantage of second-hand markets, to give new life to items that you don't use anymore or find something that someone else has gotten rid of that you need. You'll be saving money and reducing your consumption. Bartering is also a practical solution.
- Recycle: packaging, waste from electronics, etc. Did you know that you can save over 730 kilos of CO2 each year just by recycling half of the garbage produced at home?
- What about your diet? Eat low carbon
A low-carbon diet results in smarter consumption:
- Reduce your meat consumption (livestock is one of the biggest contaminators of the atmosphere) and increase your consumption of fruits and vegetables.
- Eat food that is local and in season: read the label and eat food that is produced in the area, avoid imports which create more emissions due to transportation. Also, eat seasonal items, to avoid less sustainable production methods.
- Avoid excessive packaging and processed foods as much as possible.
- Act against forest loss
- As far as possible, avoid anything that may be a fire hazard.
- If you want to buy wood, choose wood with a certification or seal showing its sustainable origin.
- Plant a tree! Throughout its life, it can absorb up to a ton of CO2.
Think globally, act locally. Your actions are needed in the fight against climate change.
At The Eco Fairy, our goal is to help you build a more sustainable life by offering you a line of reusable products. We offer products that last and that will help you reduce the amount of plastic you use.
More info on our website: https://www.theecofairy.com