The Power of One Tree
1. Earth has more than 60,000 known tree species.
2. More than half of all tree species exist only in a single country.
3. Trees didn't exist for the first 90 percent of Earth's history.
4. Before trees, Earth was home to fungi that grew 26 feet tall.
5. The first known tree was a leafless, fern-like plant from New York.
6. Scientists thought this dinosaur-era tree went extinct 150 million years ago — but then it was found growing wild in Australia.
7. Some trees emit chemicals that attract enemies of their enemies.
8. Trees in a forest can 'talk' and share nutrients through an underground internet built by soil fungi.
9. Most tree roots stay in the top 18 inches of soil, but they can also grow above ground or dive a few hundred feet deep.
10. A large oak tree can consume about 100 gallons of water per day, and a giant sequoia can drink up to 500 gallons daily.
11. Trees help us breathe — and not just by producing oxygen.
12. Adding one tree to an open pasture can increase its bird biodiversity from almost zero species to as high as 80.
13. Trees can lower stress, raise property values and fight crime.
14. A large oak tree can drop 10,000 acorns in one year.
We need trees. Try to plant one per day/week and see the difference you will make.