Why Recycle Food

Why Recycle Food


why recycle food


Reducing organic waste is becoming an increasingly widespread issue in our world. Every year Americans throw away nearly 36 million tons of food. Even more alarming is the fact that 40% of all the food produced in the US is never used, which ultimately means that Americans are wasting roughly $165 billion worth of food per year.

For those reasons, and more, the economic and environmental benefits of food waste recycling are becoming too great to ignore. Progressively more organizations that produce large volumes of organic waste are beginning to implement sustainability and food waste recycling programs. Food waste recycling creates an opportunity to reduce disposal costs, and it is good for the environment and your local community. It decreases the amount of organic waste going to landfills, which in turn, lessens GHG emissions released into the atmosphere.

Consider these statistics:

  • Food waste generation in the U.S. alone has increased by 300% since 1980
  • Less than 5% of unused food is recycled - leaving 95% in landfills
  • Food is the largest component of all landfilled waste
  • Food in landfills accounts for the largest human related source of methane, which is a greenhouse gas 23 times more potent than carbon monoxide
  • 25% of All Food Purchased is Never Eaten
  • 40% of All Food Produced is Never Used
  • 34 Million Tons of Food Recyclables are Sent to Landfills Each Year

Be at the Forefront of Food Waste Recycling

Laws are beginning to add food to the list of mandatory recyclables in an increasing number of states. Still, businesses that generate high quantities of food waste should begin to implement plans for food recycling before one is forced upon them.


Eco Digester has been helping restaurants, schools, hospitals and prisons convert food into fertilizer IN THEIR OWN KITCHEN since 2009. 



Leave a comment

Please note, comments must be approved before they are published